As a WordPress/WooCommerce Plugin Developer, you’re responsible for building awesome things for store owners to use in their e-commerce businesses. Our tools were downloaded over 387,633 times in the last 12 months! You will be a key part of the team creating new plugins, new features, enhance existing features, squashing bugs, and helping us rapidly iterate on our much loved e-commerce tools.
Employment Type: Full-time
Department: WooCommerce Extensions
Interested? See “How To Apply” below to learn more before applying.
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You’re a self-starter, keen for a technical challenge and open to learning new things.
- You’re comfortable with accepting critical feedback without taking it personally.
- You’re an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English. You don’t let things through the cracks. We believe that communication is CRITICAL to success.
- You are passionate about WordPress, WooCommerce, and E-commerce and are excited to work on something that will affect hundreds of thousands of people.
- You take pride in the quality of your work rather than just doing it to get it done. You think of yourself more as an engineer than a hacker.
- You’re a team player who is comfortable working alongside and helping other developers.
- You’re happy jumping between front-end and back-end development tasks, or tackling tasks which require both.
- You’re happy working on tasks of all sizes – from small bug fixes and enhancements to large features/rewrites.
Common responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Bug and enhancement triage.
- Scoping, writing, and testing new product features and add-ons.
- Sprint management and managing release work.
- Refactoring legacy code with a particular attention to backwards compatibility and future proofing.
- Providing feedback in the form of code reviews (PR’s)
- Communicating with the team and supporting your peers using chat, audio, and video.
Other handy skills:
- Professional experience working with WordPress and/or WooCommerce plugin development, architecture, and standards.
- Advanced knowledge of PHP and MySQL including best practices (OOP, autoloading, namespacing, interfaces, etc).
- Familiarity with package managers such as Composer/NPM.
- Experience working with APIs (eg. WooCommerce/WordPress API, Drip, Zapier, Stripe, etc).
- Comfortable with version control through Git (using Github).
- Ability to conceptualize, iterate, and ship ideas quickly.
- Exceptional ability to troubleshoot and narrow down bugs.
- Be user centric and always keep the customer’s experience and expectations in mind.
- Previous experience working remotely or freelance.
Bonus points if you also have:
- Experience with WooCommerce development.
- Agile/scrum workflow methodology experience.
- Knowledge and experience with Docker/containers.
What we offer
Our company is fast-growing and completely bootstrapped. This is a great opportunity to join a growing team of smart and enthusiastic people who believe in the mission of democratising e-commerce for even the smallest players. There’s no freeloaders on our team and we all bring the bacon.
Here’s what we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Paid health care for full-time employees (regionalised to your part of the world).
- Work from home. We’re spread out all over the world – mostly in Australia, Philippines & Indonesia.
- Annual paid time off for full-time employees. We encourage employees to take the time they need for vacation, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave for full-time employees.
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as online courses that promote continued learning.
- We give you the opportunity to solve meaningful problems for people who rely on our software to run their businesses (and by extension support themselves and their families).
- Company provided laptop on your 5 year anniversary.
- We cover costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat)
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks 🙂
Location & Other Requirements
This is a remote position – our team is spread out all over the world. The company is based in Brisbane, Australia so company operating hours are 9am to 5pm AEST (UTC +10). While it’s not required that you cover that exact timezone, you must be available during a portion of the day for informal/formal meetings & work assignments.
- Fast modern laptop/desktop computer system (provide specs screenshot).
- You need to be capable of running any required development tools, local servers, etc, without slowing down or causing restrictions in your work. Strictly no pirated operating systems or other non-legit softwares.
- Preferably using Windows 10 Professional edition, MacOS, or Linux.
- Fast broadband internet connection (provide speed test screenshot).
- Availability to participate in audio/video meetings between 9am to 5pm AEST.
- A webcam and quiet place to work – the team frequently conducts video and screenshare meetings throughout our work.
At Rymera Web Co, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
How to apply?
If this sounds like a great fit for you, then please submit your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please clearly include the following information in your cover letter/application:
- Demonstrate/explain your WordPress plugin development experience.
- What is your favorite (and perhaps little known) WordPress/WooCommerce function or hook and why?
- Tell us a bit about yourself. Why should you be considered for this role? Details about your experience, qualifications, personality, etc are very helpful.
- Profile links with code samples (Github, WordPress.org, etc)
- Other profile links if available (Personal website, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc).
Also note, don’t forget to proofread your application before submitting. Check spelling, capitalization, etc. This is your chance to make your application stand out from the crowd 🙂
We won’t be able to individually respond to each and every application, but if we feel you are a strong match, someone will be in touch with you shortly. Qualified candidates will be asked to do a simple code challenge.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!